This session will discuss the third link in the chain that follows new authors and new publishers, namely new readers. With India increasingly becoming a young country, it becomes imperative upon publishers to attract young readers, especially when other media vie for their attention. Scope:
- Marketing tools employed for books for children/YA
- Understanding reading habits among children (what attracts children to books)
- Success stories where children have been drawn towards books
- Books as educators, just not entertainers (development of “good” books)
- Do we have to sacrifice substance over style to make books more appealing to children?
- What are the competencies that publishers must build to develop books that children like to read?
- What steps must be taken to develop good books in Indian languages?
- Can TV extensions be better used to engage children?
- Sayoni Basu, Duckbill »